Friday, May 02, 2008

Let there be Potatoes

This is a look at my potatoes in the garden. I choose the easy method of tilling the ground (even easier when I have husband do it) then placing the potatoes right on top of the ground. I next cover them with hay well. When I see the greens start coming through the hay, then I add more hay to them to again cover the greens. I do this about 3 or 4 times totally, which amounts to quite a bit of hay, but really not "hard" work. Then after the 3 or 4 times, I just let them grow. The greens will be back through the hay shortly and when they die off in the summer, I will have tons of potatoes right under the hay. I like this method, because there is a lot let labor involved, imho. You do not have to do so much digging as you do with dirt hilled potatoes. They are usually cleaner and easier to locate too. I planted about 60 lbs of several different types. Posted by Picasa

No comments: