Thursday, May 22, 2008

The garden is growing!

I love to grow different herbs to dry and use fresh here at home. This is a picture of some of my oregano. It is huge and looks like a little bush. It is a perennial and comes back each year. This one is about 3 years old now. I usually cut it back, and dry it on a dehydrator, then package it in food saver bags with the air removed. It is lovely.
The garden would not be the same without some wonderful sunflowers. My dd planted them this year and there are tons of them all over the place just getting started. We love to see them and let the birds enjoy them and it just wouldn't be garden season without them coming up in our garden.
I have a soft spot in my heart and stomach for potatoes. I love them, baked, fried, mashed, in salads, as a main dish, or side dish...just gotta have them. I decided to plant more this year than I have ever planted before. With all the rains this year (record amounts even) I thought I would lose a lot of them, but they are coming on strong since the sun has been out for a few days in a row. They look great and some have even started to bloom !!! Can't wait to have some new potatoes cooking, yum!
Well, we have some peas out too and this is little pic of some of the pretty blooms on some of them. I planted 2 different types and most of the blooms are white, but not this little batch...they are the most beautiful different shades of purple. We haven't had any peas as of yet, but we are hoping soon.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: