Saturday, August 09, 2008

Canning Tomatoes

I have been very, very, busy. We have had tons of tomatoes coming off the vine, and all at once too. This means that it is time to can, can, can all of those tomatoes and well, here is what it looks like. I like to can them in quarts, although I do can several in pints too.
I like to can my tomatoes a bit differently than most others...I like to can the whole goodness all together where most people like to blanch and remove the skins of the tomato. I take my fresh tomatoes and wash them, cut out the cores and place them in a blender, then hit the liquefy button. I then pour this whole tomato goodness into a very large stock pot, and bring them to a boil. I add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to each quart jar. I then ladle the tomatoes into my already clean and sterilized jars(with the salt and lemon juice) , clean the rims, place cap and rings on them and place in a boiling water bath for 45 minutes (that is 45 minutes after it starts to boil hard). Then I remove the jars and allowed to cool over night. I then remove the rings, wash the jars, label the lids and put them in storage.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: