Monday, July 21, 2008

Dehydrating garden goods

I have been working to dehydrate as much of our garden produce as I possible can. This is a pic of onions going on the dehyrator. I just slice them and lay them out so they are not touching much and let them dehydrate over night. I like them very dry and crisp. I crush them and then place them in 2 liter plastic soda bottles when finished.
You can see in this pic one of the plastic soda bottles of onion flakes. The glass quart mason jars have dehydrated eggplant in them. They are easy to do as well. I slice them, about 1/4 in thick, then soak them in a bit of lemon water for a few minutes then lay them out on the dehydrator and leave for several hours.
The bags contain yellow squash, zucchini squash, and cucumbers. They are all dehydrated, and placed in food saver bags and all the air removed.
This is a close up of some of the yellow squash in the food saver bag. I like to use these in casseroles whole, or just grind some up into flakes or powder to add to soups or the like. They have great flavor and a super to have around.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: