Friday, September 22, 2006

Let there be pork!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, we finally have fresh meat. We took the 4 porkers to the butcher. Two were for us and the other two were for family and friends. We Choose the smallest and the largest pig for our own...the smallest was 188lbs and the largest was 224. We also had another at 224 and one at 218. We did good. Out of our two hogs, we ended up with 269 lbs of pork. We only got one ham and the other hams sliced into ham steaks!! We have tons of sausage, bacon, pork chops and pork steaks! Cullen grilled some pork steak and they were delicious! Very tender!!! For tonight, we have a pork roast in the crockpot! I love a slow cooked roast.

So far, our whole foods diet is going well. We have been eating fine. I made a special treat yesterday, with Simones help, and they turned our wonderful. The are peanut butter balls. They are a mix of oats and powdered milk with honey and natural peanutbutter. They are not cooked, you just mix and roll into balls. I expected them to be good, but just ok good...and I was really surprised, they are more than good, they are terrific. The best part, is that the recipe made a huge ton of them and I froze a huge bag of them so we can have them for a long time!!!!!!!!! yea ha!!!! That is another big plus to this recipe. I have noticed that snacks are the hardest thing to the whole foods diet...you cant grab a quick bag of chips, premade (packaged) cookies or granola bars...because of the sugar, hugh fructose corn syrup, hydrodenated oils, or the white enriched flour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! those products are in everything................ I have been cooking up a storm since we started this whole foods way of life. I like to cook and such so it hasnt been hard, but the kids are already worried about not getting some of their favorate things, like ice-cream, chocolate, for Kenny any candy and such, but after the peanut butter balls, they are not so worried about it any more. Cullen is doing pretty well with this too. The hardest thing about this for me has been the NO COKE!!! I am (or should I say was) a diehard coke drinker...morning, noon, and night, nothing but coke!!!!!!!!!!! I havent has one since we started the whole foods way. It has been a week yesterday. I have to say that I already have more energy since I have not been drinking the coke and having no sugars....
I cant wait to see what else changes in our lives because of these changes.

No comments: